Making travel plans to visit a warm weather destination this summer or winter? Packing for warm weather trips can be tricky – you want to stay cool and comfortable, but have enough coverage for an airport. Read on for tips on how to dress for the airport when traveling somewhere with a warm climate.
Factors to Keep in Mind
When deciding what to wear to the airport for warm weather trips, there are a few key factors to consider:
Weather at Your Departure and Arrival Airports
Check the weather forecast for the days you’ll be traveling to get an idea of temperatures and conditions. This will help you determine if you need extra layers for departing from a colder climate.
Also consider the climate of your destination. Some warm places may still be hot and humid at night or in the early morning when you arrive.
Airport and Airplane Temperatures
Airports and airplanes can feel cold due to strong air conditioning. Be prepared with a layer like a sweater or jacket that can be easily removed once you’re outside.
Airplane cabins also tend to be dry, so having moisturizer is a good idea.
Security and Customs Procedures
You’ll need to remove shoes, coats, and accessories like belts and jewelry for airport screening. Wear slip-on shoes and minimal metal items to speed things up.
If you have Global Entry, you may be able to keep shoes on. Check with your airline.
Comfort and Mobility
Think about clothes that are breathable, lightweight, and loose fitting for comfort sitting for long periods while traveling. Items that stretch or have waistbands with drawstrings or elastic can accommodate bloating and swelling that can happen when flying.
Also consider clothes with pockets so you can easily access belongings during screening.
What to Wear
Here are some tips on specific clothing items that work well for airport travel to warm weather destinations:
- Flowy blouses or breathable fabrics like linen or cotton -avoid heavy materials like wool
- Loose t-shirts or tank tops with layering options like cardigans or jackets
- Tops with secure pockets are great for storing boarding passes and IDs
- Lightweight pants or skirts in materials like linen, cotton, or rayon that won’t cling
- Elastic or drawstring waists provide comfort for sitting and bloating
- Darker colors conceal stains or spills that can happen while traveling
- Leggings can be worn under skirts for more coverage during flights
Dresses and jumpsuits
- Loose, breezy dresses and jumpsuits are an easy one-piece option
- Look for necklines and hems that meet airline requirements
- Wear with jacket or sweater for layering
- Sandals with straps are the easiest shoe to remove for airport screening
- Slip-on sneakers like Vans or Toms avoid laces
- Add socks for comfort and to absorb moisture if it will be cold at any point
- Try inserts or compression socks to ease foot swelling when flying
- Cardigans, denim or bomber jackets to add or remove as needed
- Pashmina shawls work as scarves during the flight or blankets
- Trench coats, longer cardigans provide coverage for dresses or skirts
- Scarves not only look stylish but provide neck coverage for chilly planes
- Crossbody bag hands-free for maneuvers through security and boarding
- Leave valuable jewelry at home – opt for pairs of small stud earrings
- Hats like fedoras, sun hats or baseball caps offer sun protection upon arrival
- Have clothes that are wrinkle-resistant to look polished after sitting
- Bring moisturizer for hands and face to combat airplane dryness
- Wear darker colors to hide stains or dirt from travel mishaps
- Avoid wearing clothes with metal accessories like grommets that could set off detectors
- Check with your airline for their specific policies on appropriate attire
- Bring an extra outfit in your carry-on in case luggage gets lost
Should I wear shorts or skirts to the airport for a warm weather trip?
Shorts and skirts are fine as long as they meet any length requirements set by the airline. Be sure underwear is fully covered when seated. Wear leggings or shorts underneath for more comfort and coverage.
Can I wear sandals through airport security?
Yes, you can wear sandals as they are easy to remove for screening. Options with straps are better than flip-flops which can slow you down.
What kind of shirts work best?
Breathable, lightweight fabrics like linen, cotton, rayon or chambray in loose, flowy or boxy styles provide comfort. Avoid heavy materials that could be hot.
Should I bring a sweater or jacket?
It’s a good idea to carry a layer in case the airport or airplane is chilly. Options like jean jackets, trench coats or cardigans can be easily removed when no longer needed.
What’s the best way to store my ID and boarding pass?
Wear tops with secure pockets or use a cross body bag to keep travel documents easily accessible during airport screening and boarding. Don’t keep anything in your back pockets.
Choosing comfortable, weather-appropriate clothes for the airport will make warm weather travels much more enjoyable. Focus on breathable and lightweight fabrics in layers, shoes that slip on and off with ease, and keeping belongings in secure pockets or bags. With these tips in mind, you’ll look stylish and feel great on your way to tropical destinations.